The aim at FirstPoint School is for students to enjoy their learning & to maximise their potential to achieve their personal best.
At FPS independent learning creates exceptional independent learners. Through consistency and a clear approach, each learner maximises their potential throughout a range of subject areas. Expectations for independent learning are at the highest standard with a constant and positive encouragement from both teachers and parents.
At GEMS FirstPoint School:
- Independent learning positively encourages students to enhance their learning skills outside of the classroom.
- Independent learning tasks are appropriate to ensure they are accessible but also create challenge that is linked to the subject.
- Independent learning will follow a consistent structure across the year groups and the process will be fully adhered to by staff.
- Independent learning is compulsory for students to complete.
- Independent learning will be marked and feedback given on all completed tasks within one week.
- The minimum due date for independent learning tasks is 48hours with the exception of the daily reading expectation from FS to Year 6.
- Independent learning promotes key skills such as time management, organisation, prioritisation and taking responsibility for their work.
- Teachers will continuously promote how independent learning is essential for students to maximise their potential.
- Students will understand that independent learning is essential for them to maximise their potential.
- Parents will enthuse their child and discuss their independent learning tasks to ensure a high standard of completion.
Please follow the links to find the independent learning timetable for your child:
Please note that for Year 12 and 13, there is no set timetable. For each of their subjects, it is recommended that they complete approximately 4 hours of study each week.
Please click here for the A/B weeks for Year 7/8 and 9.